About WITA (aka “Circe”)
The Women in the Arts Festival (WITA) is a celebration of regional women artists that takes place during the second weekend of November each year in East Lansing, Michigan.
A typical festival begins on Friday evening with dinner at the Sistrum Café, shopping in the Artist Market and a concert event. We gather again on Saturday morning for more music, workshops, poetry, shopping, dining and socializing into the evening. 2020, however, is not a typical year! Many of the events are being reimagined in a virtual format.
This festival is an important commitment women make each year to renew our support for women artists and musicians.
WITA is a volunteer-run organization with a commitment to supporting women in their creative pursuits and the goal of creating space for women to showcase their talents.
Behind the Scenes – The WITA Organizing Committee
A small team of volunteer community-lovin’ go-getters gather around a table throughout the year to make this magic happen.
- Alicia Bleil — Technical set up aficionado
- Susan Frazier – Purveyor of performances and PR maven
- Julie Haan – Chief cat herder and connector of dots
- Juanita Kennedy – MC extraordinaire and chief of optimism
- Val Osowski – Ad sales wrangler and WITA scribe
- Kate Peterson — WITA website diva and print design goddess
- Abby Wattenberg – Artist Market empress and ring leader